9 years of ownership....and going....

General FTO discussion only

Moderator: Moderators

9 years of ownership....and going....

Postby mcgon1979 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:38 pm

NCT up next week, so had to give it a wash. :mrgreen: did the lights too with some light T-cut and they came up crystal.
Never thought I'd own this car this long - 9years, but it's been the most reliable car I ever had so why part with it for 2k or maybe 3k now? what would I do with that? I'd need to add at least 7k to that to get something nice and not rare.
So...I'll just keep this going. Only thing I changed in last few years was a sensor. one day the rev counter was erratic, up and down wildly while driving. car was driving fine though. Googled it and found problem discussed on a few forums in Oz/Nz... Ordered the part. 60 quid. think it was a ignition sensor or something. job done. perfect since. also had problem with the window washer level light coming on, even when washer reservoir was full. eventually I just cut the wire. 8) no way I was buying a sensor for that. :lol: Not bad for 9 years to only have those issues.
I use it for a 5th gear 20 minute commute daily on the M50. Don;t use it at the weekends, or outside the work commute (26mpg plus not practical with kids etc). Use the Qashqai for everything else.
Had it up on the ramp on Friday, all looks good so hopefully no issues with nct. Last year they were having a poke around with a screwdriver and put a small hole into the inner arch at the back. horrible bastards. It was only surface rust and he had to work to make the small hole in the arch, you could tell by the jagged edges etc. replaced that with a credit card size patch job and passed after that. Other than that, tip top. I hate the NCT. Car is in better shape than many cars 10 years newer! but they don;t really like old cars at the nct for some reason. hmmm. I'll stick in the bung to make it nice and quiet like I always do. and then take it out on the way home so the zigen exhaust can sing.
Anyway, hope your all keeping well chaps... :smt006

Ma olen kaine!
mcgon1979
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Re: 9 years of ownership....and going....

Postby Bernard » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:42 pm

mcgon1979 wrote:Anyway, hope your all keeping well chaps... :smt006

All well here.
Glad to hear you're still keeping and using the car, have to say I love posts like these :D

Not a fan of the NCT either, particularly since I once failed on noise.
Had a good rant at the time so I'll let that one lie.
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Temeeo » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:49 pm

What a beauty! :smt007 Did you say that you live somewhere near Sandyford? I work between 1-2 days a week in the South County Business park in Sandyford, maybe we could meet up one day?
99 Mitsubishi FTO GX Manual in Passion Red
Temeeo
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby mcgon1979 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:52 pm

passed the NCT. Had a failure for 4 frayed/worn valve stems. haha
Went and picked up the cert today after replaceing them.
job done. The dude said the car was perfect otherwise.
great.

Yo Temeeo... yep I'm living close by. Could defintely meet up after work some day at south county or close by. Maybe at the hotel near there.
Ma olen kaine!
mcgon1979
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Postby Temeeo » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:15 am

Happy days! :D I'll send you a PM with my details re meeting up.
99 Mitsubishi FTO GX Manual in Passion Red
Temeeo
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Return to General FTO Discussion