Anyone know how to build an app?

Use this forum to discuss anything and everything non-FTO related

Moderator: Moderators

Anyone know how to build an app?

Postby karlf » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:48 pm

Have an idea for an app but have no idea how to go about getting it designed etc. Anyone know about this? Financial costs etc? It's a simple enough app basic idea is scan barcodes and then would feed back info relating to that barcode. It would also involve getting/processing info from other websites and data bases. Don't want to too much away in case some steels it.
karlf
I'm addicted to my FTO
I'm addicted to my FTO

Re: Anyone know how to build an app?

Postby colm_mcm » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:31 pm

Even if you make it and are the first, someone will just steal it anyway. Aren't there a load of apps to do with barcodes already?
Getting something that works well is probably more important than how useful they are I think. Some of my favourites are completely pointless
colm_mcm

Postby d_dan » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:41 pm

Yes I do, got a few apps out 6 private based on web launcher's
Also made a GPS tent finder app for oxigen.

In regards you your app there's a question when you scan a bar code do you want it to search the web for info.
Or do you want to have the info in the app so when they scan the item it brings up the info you want and have saved in a Database either on the app or externally.

Although if its for the iPhone I don't have a clue.
if you want to talk about it you can get me via e-mail dmooney.eire@gmail.com or if you want to post here that's no problem
d_dan
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby karlf » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:09 am

The basic idea of it is you send information to a third party and then that checks the information and let's you know if it's right or wrong.
For example: you are given a multiple choice question. You pick your answers. Send them off to a third party that checks those answers and then let's you know which are right and wrong.
That's not the best way of describing it but it's the general idea I don't want to give too much away. Any info you'd have would be great.

Thanks
Karl
karlf
I'm addicted to my FTO
I'm addicted to my FTO

Postby d_dan » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:26 am

so where does this bar code scanner come in?

If they were going to be the same questions to every user EASY!
If they were going to answer it like a test and send you their answer not as easy but can be done.
and if you want to want the app checing stuff off that can change at any time then getting back to the user then your looking into HTML coding which isnt a diy job.

Can you give me an example of how it could be used not your idea as per say but an instance with some more details of whats done
d_dan
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:15 am

To be clear, are you talking about designing an iPhone / iPad app from scratch? If so, you really need to be getting to grips with Objective-C, a solid understanding of object orientated programming would be a significant plus. I went to college with a guy who created an app as part of his final year project / thesis this year, I can put you in touch with him if you wish.
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby d_dan » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:19 pm

if you want to run from apple yes as this is almost outdated at this stage as CJ said youll practically need somone who has studied it. on the other hand if your making something for an android device its not as complicated as Google have a number of tools where somone can learn & make a basic fully functioning app using barcodes, GPS and integrating other apps in mere minutes.
d_dan
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Uncle B » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:34 pm

You'll need someone who knows Objective-C for an iPhone or someone with at least a good understanding of Java if you want to do an Android app well. (IMO)

What information would you be after?
You'll need access to these third party databases if you intend to use them.
Here's a basic example:
Would it be like you send info to a database (e.g Licence Plate:95SO2621, Make: Mitsubishi, Model: FTO, Colour: Silver, Engine size: 2.0)
It then sends the details to the Cartell or Motorcheck database and confirms whether the details are right or not?
Could you elaborate a little more on what you want it to do?

Is the barcode scanner necessary for verification/security or just to make things easier?
In a shop for example the scanner at the till will scan the item, and match the barcode to an item in the database and show all the details like name, price etc.
The checkout person can type in the code too and it will show the same information.

I'll be doing a 'Droid app as part of my final year project hopefully.
It's going to be a phone app where the user can enter information which is then recorded/displayed using graphs etc.
They can then upload it to an online database.
There will also be a standalone website, where again, the user can enter/view details like on the phone, but the user can share his information with others so they can view the data and leave comments etc.

I've done some HTML, PHP, Java and SQL/database related stuff recently but I'm not sure how easy/difficult it will be to securely upload the information from phone to the online database.

OT but have you finished college/course yet CJ? I remember you were studying for a Java exam at some stage?
Get out of here Nebulon! No one likes your style...
Uncle B
I prefer my FTO to the missus
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Postby CJ » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:51 pm

Uncle B wrote:OT but have you finished college/course yet CJ? I remember you were studying for a Java exam at some stage?

Yes, finished the post grad earlier in the year, did surprisingly well in the Java modules! (starting another 2 year course in September for my sins, but I digress...) The guy I was referring to used the opportunity to learn Objective-C from the ground up, he had good Java knowledge to begin with.

Good choice of final year project, you can't get Java programmers for love nor money at the minute, concentrating on the technology for your project gives you an added advantage if you're considering a programming career.
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby karlf » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:43 pm

Never replied to this sorry guys. I kinda ran out of enthusiasm once I got prices when I looked into it. That and the 3rd party websites weren't too encouraging when it came to allowing access to their data bases. Pity I had a few companies interested in what I was proposing. But quotes from €5000-50000 depending on how sophisticated I wanted to make it. :(
karlf
I'm addicted to my FTO
I'm addicted to my FTO

Postby CJ » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:35 pm

karlf wrote:Pity I had a few companies interested in what I was proposing. But quotes from €5000-50000 depending on how sophisticated I wanted to make it. :(

if tour idea was an innovative as you say and you had interested investors then I would seriously think about getting a patent search done, hiring a developer on contract and getting him or her to sign an NDA...
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Off Topic