[EVENT] Thanks from Custom & Performance[14th Sept 2008]

This forum is a means of informing the community on up and coming meets and events

Moderators: Moderators, Event Organisers

[EVENT] Thanks from Custom & Performance[14th Sept 2008]

Postby tom » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:15 am

Hello all,
firstly a big thank you to all of you for turning out on Sunday, considering the conditions it was a great turn out and i hope that you all enjoyed yourselves...
now down to business, what can we do to make the show bigger, better and more enjoyable for everyone??
believe it or not plans are underway for next years show already... (anyone know where to get a big marquee ;))

Tom
tom
1st gear
1st gear

Postby Muad_dib77 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:42 am

Hi Tom,

Are you wanting to stick to the same venue or are you perhaps looking to relocate?
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Tiomáint sé cosúil go bhfuil tú déanach i gcás maise!
Muad_dib77

Postby kevinod » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:22 am

Couple of thoughts...

- Commentary for the 1/4 mile so people know what's going on on the track.

- General commentary so people know particular things are starting, e.g. 1/4 mile, rolling road

- more to do/see for spectators and even people entered in show and shine. There's an awful lot of hanging around waiting for stuff to happen. Maybe a sound off?

- product demos is another thought... there was an Autoglym stand indoors in the stand, it would have been much more interesting if they were demonstrating the product rather than just standing there. (now that I think of it if the demonstrators were an attraction in themselves that would be ok too... :wink: )

- other product demos, or maybe stands with guys who do racing lessons or rally lessons, rolling roads, leather retrims, etc etc actively trying to sell their products (i.e. making some effort rather than just standing there) would be great too.
Steel Silver manual GR (95 C)
kevinod

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:06 am

Hi Tom - Yip - the weather really had an adverse effect this year.
(Would be a great country if you could roof it!)

Otherwise I can't really think of a better venue in the area but as per a couple of suggestions -

1/4 mile - important to have commentary - explaining the mods each car is carrying etc - theres also a lot of waiting for the cars to run - get them out quicker - more runs and more for spectators to see.

Rolling Road - good idea this year - keep it (but maybe change location).

Show & Shine - Area for modded cars and also a separate area for club cars (maybe all modified in the centre with club cars on the side or lower areas.)

More auto traders (cars and parts) - even if they are just let in for a nominal fee - (perhaps just to sponsor a prize) - the value here will be that people will have more to do at the show - however no hawkers!
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dave » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:58 am

I think the venue is great, not entirely happy with the surface of the 1/4 mile though, but it's a case of needs must....

But one thing that I think should be changed is the entry into the show and shine, there was a carina with a black bonnet and a bog standard BMW too, the entry process should be a little stricter I feel....

The rolling road was a good idea too, maybe more of an emphasis on it next year and if at all possible give people the opportunity to do more than one event, I would have loved to be able to do both the 1/4 and the rollers!!
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby kevinod » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:36 am

One other thing that got me....

€20 imo was a bit expensive to get in considering it took about 20 minutes to see all the cars in there.

Here's a big one for me - entry to the show and shine should be FREE, although vetted so only worthwhile motors get in. Personally on principal I won't pay to enter my car in show & shine so someone else can charge for people to come in and look at it. Why should people pay to provide the attractions?? :smt011 where's that soapbox smiley gone...
kevinod

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:49 pm

kevinod wrote:One other thing that got me....

€20 imo was a bit expensive to get in considering it took about 20 minutes to see all the cars in there.

Here's a big one for me - entry to the show and shine should be FREE, although vetted so only worthwhile motors get in. Personally on principal I won't pay to enter my car in show & shine so someone else can charge for people to come in and look at it. Why should people pay to provide the attractions?? :smt011 where's that soapbox smiley gone...

Only issue here Kev is that everyone would use the show & shine as a car park if it was free over paying €20 for entry to show.

€20 does seem steep for general entry but I personally don't think that €10 is too much for S&S entry. Say for instance 300 had entered for free into the S&S prior to the event - and on the day they woke up to horrible weather and a hangover from the pre party the night before - how many of those 300 (who hadn't paid any money to enter) would actually be bothered to get out of bed to attend the show. At least the €10 shows peoples commitment to attend the show and plan accordingly. Perhaps a compromise could be accomodated whereby anyone who pays to enter the show gets a freebie gift (Sleek beenie or detail samples etc).
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dragonheart » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:43 pm

I've no prob paying the E10 for the show and shine, think its grand.
But I would agree with being a little stricter on cars allowed enter show and shine, as Dave said. We all filled out forms with a section for mods, I'd love to see what some cars had down. Maybe including a pic of the car in question would help. In some cases obviously a standard car would still be amzing, such as evo's, some scoobys, (not being biased but FTO's, S2000's, but for cars like corsas, bmws, volvos, should have some mods done.
Just my thought.
Venue I think is good too, loads of space.
Dragonheart
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby kevinod » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:43 pm

Myfeckin FTO wrote:Only issue here Kev is that everyone would use the show & shine as a car park if it was free over paying €20 for entry to show.

Hence the suggestion to vet the entries so only worthwhile cars got in.

Myfeckin FTO wrote:€20 does seem steep for general entry but I personally don't think that €10 is too much for S&S entry. ...... Perhaps a compromise could be accomodated whereby anyone who pays to enter the show gets a freebie gift (Sleek beenie or detail samples etc).

It's not the €10 figure I have a problem with, it's paying someone so you can display your car, so they can make money from people coming to see your car. By rights THEY should pay YOU to display your car, cos without the cars being displayed they've got nothing. I realise that's not going to happen though.

The idea to get a freebie gift in return sounds like a good idea though, at least you get something back.
kevinod

Postby colm_mcm » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:53 pm

That's kind of the same logic of good looking girls not wanting to pay into a night clubs.
colm_mcm

Postby tom » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:10 pm

guy's really glad of some of the feedback... there are a lot of things under review after this years show...

1) there has been a stongly worded letter sent to mother nature... (ha ha)

no but on a serious note there are lots under review...

- Commentary for the 1/4 mile so people know what's going on on the track.

To be honest, this was never ever thought of... great idea, and do you want to know the saddening part... there's a full pa system in the porta cabin, we could have been doing it all day, even talking to the drivers...

- General commentary so people know particular things are starting, e.g. 1/4 mile, rolling road

The DJ's should have been doing this... i couldnt tell you if they did or not, i was getting soaked at the start of the "1/4" mile...

- more to do/see for spectators and even people entered in show and shine. There's an awful lot of hanging around waiting for stuff to happen. Maybe a sound off?

there was a sound off last year, the was no interest in it this year... we'll bring it to the drawing board... there are a few plans for activities for next year...

- product demos is another thought... there was an Autoglym stand indoors in the stand, it would have been much more interesting if they were demonstrating the product rather than just standing there. (now that I think of it if the demonstrators were an attraction in themselves that would be ok too... )

that was up to the auto-gleam rep... i will pass this back onto him...

- other product demos, or maybe stands with guys who do racing lessons or rally lessons, rolling roads, leather retrims, etc etc actively trying to sell their products (i.e. making some effort rather than just standing there) would be great too.

i'll go back to all the traders with this one... unfortunatelly it's very hard to attract trade stands...

1/4 mile - important to have commentary - explaining the mods each car is carrying etc - theres also a lot of waiting for the cars to run - get them out quicker - more runs and more for spectators to see.

as above... as for more run's... i'd love to be able to speed it up... there were a few factors there, 1- it was my first year organising the "1/4" lot of lessons learned... 2- there's the safety aspect... and 3- the speed camera...

Rolling Road - good idea this year - keep it (but maybe change location).
done...

Show & Shine - Area for modded cars and also a separate area for club cars (maybe all modified in the centre with club cars on the side or lower areas.)

working this already... gonna be looking at a car club village next year... with inter club competitions...

More auto traders (cars and parts) - even if they are just let in for a nominal fee - (perhaps just to sponsor a prize) - the value here will be that people will have more to do at the show - however no hawkers!

very hard to attract... and believe me it's only a nominal fee that they get charged...

I think the venue is great, not entirely happy with the surface of the 1/4 mile though, but it's a case of needs must....

already under review...

But one thing that I think should be changed is the entry into the show and shine, there was a carina with a black bonnet and a bog standard BMW too, the entry process should be a little stricter I feel....

didnt see the carina, but i hope the bmw your talking of isnt the 325 that won??
yes, next year we are going to have a few bouncer's... anything that isnt up to scratch, will go into a different area... we're trying to figure this one out to be honest....

The rolling road was a good idea too, maybe more of an emphasis on it next year and if at all possible give people the opportunity to do more than one event, I would have loved to be able to do both the 1/4 and the rollers!!

RR is going in a different location next year... you live and learn... yes people will be able to enter two events next year, unless they are doing Show and Shine...

One other thing that got me....

Here's a big one for me - entry to the show and shine should be FREE, although vetted so only worthwhile motors get in. Personally on principal I won't pay to enter my car in show & shine so someone else can charge for people to come in and look at it. Why should people pay to provide the attractions?? where's that soapbox smiley gone...

i dont think the €20 was the issue, and yes, now that we are going vetting the entries properly, i think it will be FOC for people to enter their car and themselves... we are working on maybe letting the people with cars entered buy advance tickets for their passengers at a reduced rate, i'd like to hear peoples ideas on this...

sorry for the length of the post, just said i'd address the issues...

Tom
tom
1st gear
1st gear

Postby Bernard » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:13 pm

The noise!

Dush dush dush for eight hours, turn it down a bit or have some varied music (possibly with lyrics) at least.

No, I'm not getting old :wink:
Last edited by Bernard on Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby tom » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:14 pm

Bernard wrote:No, I'm not getting old :wink:

you are ;)

but personally i agree on this one... i would actually prefer to have a live band there... but thats just me...

Tom
tom
1st gear
1st gear

Postby Dragonheart » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:27 pm

No the bmw that was standard was on the exact opposite side of the one that won the show. I think it was a 316 or 318 or something close to that. It would have been in between us and the midnight club tent.

Good idea with tickets at reduced price for passengers going in with entrants.

Actually heres something I noticed as well on the day, the cops that were there kept nicely out of the way, you knew they were there but they didnt make themselves stick out and be intimidating or anything. I saw a few occasions where groups of lads were chatting to them and stuff. Just thought it was sort of decent and made it a more relaxed atmosphere.
Dragonheart
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby kevinod » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:06 am

colm_mcm wrote:That's kind of the same logic of good looking girls not wanting to pay into a night clubs.

Maybe, if the guys going into the night clubs outnumbered them 50 to one...
kevinod

Postby kevinod » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:17 am

Btw, thanks Tom, I think we all realize what a huge effort it is to organize an event like that. Looking forward to next year!
kevinod

Postby tom » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:18 am

kevinod wrote:Btw, thanks Tom, I think we all realize what a huge effort it is to organize an event like that. Looking forward to next year!

it is massive effort... and there's gonna be even more effort for next year...

tbh plans are already underway for next years show... (do you hear that mother nature?!?!)

tom
tom
1st gear
1st gear

Postby miss-enzo » Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:32 pm

Bernard wrote:The noise!

Dush dush dush for eight hours, turn it down a bit or have some varied music (possibly with lyrics) at least.

No, I'm not getting old :wink:

although i wasnt there this year i noticed the same previously!!! and to be honest i totally agree..... techno and hard house are grand in a club but whenu have to listen to it for hours in the middle of the day it can be annoyin!!!

now i know some people will disagree but i personally would prefre just radio music (lkike chart stuff) playin as background music..... at least then u get some variety!!!

AND i dont mean to be picky but ive seen some pics of the car show girls.... and to be fair the show is a family event and some of the outfits arent exactly family friendly.... girls walkin around in knickers or skirts with their arses hangin out doesnt really give the "family friendly vibe"
My FTO is for sale viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12725
miss-enzo
My other car's an FTO...as well

Postby colm_mcm » Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:54 pm

miss-enzo wrote:AND i dont mean to be picky but ive seen some pics of the car show girls.... and to be fair the show is a family event and some of the outfits arent exactly family friendly.... girls walkin around in knickers or skirts with their arses hangin out doesnt really give the "family friendly vibe"

Yeah...state!

;)
colm_mcm

Postby Bernard » Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:44 pm

miss-enzo wrote:
AND i dont mean to be picky but ive seen some pics of the car show girls....

And let's face it, they weren't the best looking either :wink:

Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby colm_mcm » Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:52 pm

Jaysus Bernard...
colm_mcm

Postby TopCat » Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:57 pm

Bernard wrote:
miss-enzo wrote:
AND i dont mean to be picky but ive seen some pics of the car show girls....

And let's face it, they weren't the best looking either :wink:

My eyes, MY EYES!!! :lol:
TopCat
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Postby Sebastian » Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:56 am

ROFL

did you lads loose weight ?
no1. manual GR 96 l no2. tip GR 95 l no3. manual Gpx 95 l no.4 manual Gpx 95 l no.5 manual Gpx 96 l no.6 tip GR 95 - in 2011 took a break from the FTO scene
Sebastian

Postby fatboyfat7 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:24 pm

Glad someone said it Bernard!
Fully functional White GPvR....
fatboyfat7
Nothing comes between me and my FTO
Nothing comes between me and my FTO

Postby miss-enzo » Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:49 pm

colm_mcm wrote:
miss-enzo wrote:AND i dont mean to be picky but ive seen some pics of the car show girls.... and to be fair the show is a family event and some of the outfits arent exactly family friendly.... girls walkin around in knickers or skirts with their arses hangin out doesnt really give the "family friendly vibe"

Yeah...state!

;)

Hey now!! we were decent lookin! i guarantee u can see no ar$e hanging out ig the back of out overalls! and at least we had outfits that were somewhat car related!!
My FTO is for sale viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12725
miss-enzo

Next

Return to Irish FTO meets