Buying one of these beauties

General FTO discussion only

Moderator: Moderators

Buying one of these beauties

Postby kingoftench » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:40 pm

Hi guys and ladies I am new to this website first of all its amazing and so well done.I am looking to buy buy a gpx mivec for the right money I seen one of these cars and since I did I would love one so I need all the advice I can get and need to be pointed in the right direction also I would really love one in either black or red and I think I would prefer the manual version but again I need advice on this. I have also been told to watch out for condition under the car so id love to hear from some of ye great fto owners my god they are one amazing machine.
kingoftench
1st gear
1st gear

Re: Buying one of these beauties

Postby goz_83 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:58 pm

Always helps to know where you are based. update your profile and we can help more.

So, you've been bitten by the bug. If i'm to be completely honest, I would not turn down a good GR, or GX if it became available and was the right car for you. I own a manual GPX, but only because my auto GR was rear ended. The GR was a great car. I loved it and coincidentally, I gave it to my brother who got it fixed, then sold it back to the owner I bought from and now, only yesterday, my brother in law has bought the 94 GR and she drives like a dream.

Preference is a manual GPX, but it's still a lovely drive in the auto. The top end model is the GPVR, which is lighter and therefore faster, but I wouldn't pick one of those over a GPX. For me, it's gotta be a facelift though. I don't like the older ones as much and I really don't like the kits.

You will rarely find one that is sold with an NCT and even more rare, one sold with tax, but that gives you an idea of how long it is likely unused. When you buy one, have a good €500 put aside for bits and bobs it will need. A good under seal is always recommended.
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby kingoftench » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:41 pm

Thanks for all the advice and please keep it coming def have the bug and I come from the Laois area ..
kingoftench
1st gear
1st gear

Postby MY-JAP-MISTRESS » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:15 pm

ive a 95 GR tippy. I wouldnt want a GPX to be honest. all you hear is people goin on about the mivec roar, to me it means do not buy as its been hoked silly and there is more to go wrong with the mivec heads. if I was looking a FTO Today I would go for a GX and still keep the auto box because its a sweet auto and no need to ever change the clutch or gear linkages gettin bent. ive had my FTO for 5 years or so, just passed the 110k(miles not km) mark and apart from a few issues that kept her off the road for a while its been a reliable motor. but then again it will last as long as you keep it in good nick
MY-JAP-MISTRESS
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Postby goz_83 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:24 pm

One benefit of a GPX over a GR/GX is that you can adjust the tappets, but admittedly, you would probably never need to :)

The mivec roar is great though. If you take on board the advice by MY_JAP_MISTRESS which is great advice by the way, I can point you toward an GX I know is a fantastic car. It's my brothers and I only pointed it out to a fellow member very recently who is also looking for an fto. The GX has 5 gears, as opposed to the 4 gears on the older, GR version. As mentioned, I don't talk to my brother, but reckon you can easily get this 99 GX in great nick for €1300. http://www.adverts.ie/car/mitsubishi/ft ... ne/3039059

Its in North Dublin and it looks like his friend has it advertised.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Kace » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:13 pm

Welcome.

Do not buy a GX or GR before you have driven a Mivec (above 5500rpm) as well. After that - it's your decision as the V6 sounds and performs great no matter what variant.
| Silver 95 GPX Manual | 20 years MIVEC experience |
| Silver 09 Audi A5 | 2.0 TDI quattro S-Line Special Edition |
| Blue 04 Audi A4 Avant | 1.9 TDI S-Line | (wifemobile)
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby kingoftench » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:19 pm

Anyone know where there is a good GPX for sale...
kingoftench
1st gear
1st gear

Postby goz_83 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:21 pm

Keep your eyes open and don't blink.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Bernard » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:55 am

Be sure to check out what your insurance will cost before committing to a car, FTOs are unusually hard to insure.
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby kingoftench » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:39 am

Just to let all know when I buy one of these cars I will be putting it into storage for years to come that's why I want to find a nice clean example and that's why I am asking all year owners for all the help I can get it hope to have this car in many years to come to pass on to my daughter.
kingoftench
1st gear
1st gear

Postby Mick ah » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:17 pm

I'm a bit sad to hear that when you get one you'll be hiding it away.

But I'm even more glad to hear that there may be a decent example knocking about in a few years, fresh out of storage :D

To reiterate what the lads said though: Just get a solid one regardless of the model as they're all fantastic cars.
Mick ah
Super unleaded
Super unleaded

Return to General FTO Discussion