electrical fault maybe??? help!!!

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

electrical fault maybe??? help!!!

Postby nairnman » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:34 pm

the cars been fine untill today and noticed the revs sit higher than it usually is. it sits at bang on 1000rpm when engines hot and at 2000rpm when cold. i did have the intake manifold off to replace the spark plugs so by doing this had to disconnect the throttle cable. how do i re adjust the revs. the 2 bolts holding the cable to manifold only seems to take the slack out of the cable. also i did notice the speedo jumped from 30 to 40 in a instant and back to down to 30. i never noticed this before. does any body know what this problem could be? please help many thanks also included a picture for you to see if any thing is out of place. all plugs back in and checked
1996 gr sport
nairnman
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Re: electrical fault maybe??? help!!!

Postby Dragonheart » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:32 pm

I know my engine revs slighter higher when cold, don't know if its that high though.
OT but you see you're earthing kit? It could be tidied up a lot more, run it under the filter and pipes, looks like its just thrown in there. No offence meant but it would really tidy up your bay.
Dragonheart
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby nairnman » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:13 pm

will do cheers any ideas are aprreciated. i took out the stepper motor and cleaned it inside out and checked wiring all good now here the link i used
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jaycom/fto/engine/stepper1.htm
1996 gr sport
nairnman
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby CJ » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:53 am

Theres a screw on the throttle body that can be used to adjust the idle speed, search the forum for further detail. The position of the throttle position sensor also effects idle speed, I'm assuming you didn't remove this when you had the plenum off. If you did then its slightly more complicated to calibrate - another topic perhaps.
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to FTO Technical