Advice

Discuss other marques here

Moderator: Moderators

Advice

Postby soc » Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:30 pm

Finally, the time has come - I'll be selling or trading the golf in the next few weeks - I've some interested callers and some prices from dealers - the problem is I'm unsure which to go for... the options are:

'01 Audi TT 225bhp - will cost 25K euro
'01 Aud S3 225bhp - will cost 24k euro
'00 BMW 330ci Sport - will cost 20k euro

Insurance is actually cheaper on the 330ci by almost 600 euro so that offsets the difference in tax. Based on the performance, handling, etc plus the cost which one would you guys go for?
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:33 pm

TT's just don't do it for me at all and theres more 3 series on the road than anything else these days. The S3 gets my vote.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Kace » Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:22 am

I'm with CJ.

TT is OK (still looks better than the new one I think), but why the hell would you buy one of these for 25K when you're getting a less rounded and less practical car than an FTO for 4 times the money - madness. OK it has clunky doors, a cool interior and a slightly more powerful block but is that really worth it ???

330Ci - again not bad but I think I'd have to go convertible before I'd have one of these. cannot beat the wind in your face on summer's day

S3 - drivers car, understated with loads of power. Is it really that much better than what you already have though ?
| Silver 95 GPX Manual | 20 years MIVEC experience |
| Silver 09 Audi A5 | 2.0 TDI quattro S-Line Special Edition |
| Blue 04 Audi A4 Avant | 1.9 TDI S-Line | (wifemobile)
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:34 am

Of the cars listed I would be more inclined towards the 330i - quite like this spec (M spec kit with beige leather) - http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cf ... rID=453179

Though if it was me personally I'd be buying a 350Z - they are now close to this money. :wink:
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby RussMan » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:56 am

350Z is great but no back seats could be an issue??
Soc i've a nice puma for sale at the moment :) *thats a joke right!
???? - Ferrari F355 Berlinetta
2007 Nissan 350z GT
2004 Nissan 350z GT
1998 Mitsubishi FTO GPvR
1997 Mazda Mx-3
RussMan
I'm addicted to my FTO
I'm addicted to my FTO

Postby Muad_dib77 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:01 am

CJ wrote:TT's just don't do it for me at all and theres more 3 series on the road than anything else these days. The S3 gets my vote.

CJ

I'm definately with CJ on this one.
TT is as common as muck these days - the 3 series well - sure it's a grand car, no doubt - but there's an actual risk of trying to get into the wrong one in the car park!

S3 gets my vote too.. Lovely car!
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Tiomáint sé cosúil go bhfuil tú déanach i gcás maise!
Muad_dib77

Postby Mustang » Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:27 am

The wow factor of the TT has come and gone, it looks a bit too much like an elongated beetle to me. I believe one of the UK car mags voted it the most gay car you could buy :r I was told this by a TT owner :o

The s3 is an interesting prospect, if Q-car is your thing then I guess this is the one to have.

If it was my choice I'd take the BMW, I'm thinking that it would be difficult to sell on when you are finished playing with it though -there seems to be little tolerence for high capacity (high motor tax) cars in this country.

Again a very German list SOC, With this sort of budget I'd be going for a '03 RX8 240bhp version. They are starting to look like good value.
here's a 04 example which has already lost nearly 10k per year off it's original price.
http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cf ... rID=491734
The money you save on motor tax can go towards petrol and oil. And you can bore people in the pub and at parties explaining that it's only a 1.3.... :smt015
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:32 am

Mustang wrote: And you can bore people in the pub and at parties explaining that it's only a 1.3.... :smt015

...and is classed as a 1744cc for tax purposes (same as the '7'), go figure!

soc, ignore all of this talk - if past experience is anything to go by, the missus will be making your mind up for you ;) My guess is that 330ci will win out.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CByrne » Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:49 pm

My opinions are based on my priorites, looks and performance, and not practicality or anything. Also I'm nowhere as knowledgeable as others on this forum so take this with a pinch of salt!
Have been in all of these cars (only driven the 330 tho)- the S3 would seem to me to be the drivers car of the three , was in a lovely yellow one (the yellow ones are faster of course!) The S3 badge and 18 or 19 alloys set this apart from what is already a nice hatchback. It felt quick- which is often more important than if it is actually quick.
The TT I think is a bit common these days, but the interior is so nice its a pleasure to sit in one. The 225 has a bit of life in it, but I didnt think it was hair-raising. But not sure if the driver had it on the limit, so maybe in the right hands it could be quicker that what I thought.
The 330CI, well its a lovely car, but as with a lot of heavy saloon based coupes, while you may be going fast on a straight or corners, I didnt think it actually felt fast. Of the three, this is the only one I actually drove. While the speedo impressed me, 0-60 we timed around 6 seconds (we buried it on a flat road, though cant be sure If my gear changes were slick!), not sure what the advertised figures are, it didnt actually feel as fast as that. Think Audi S4 - fast car, but you wouldnt realise it from inside!
While the insurance might be lower, I wonder would servicing and petrol be more pricy?

All in all Id go for the S3, its more the drivers car and, and if saw one, I'd be impressed with the drivers taste. My opinion of course, but I wouldnt glance twice at a 330 or a TT.

Having said that, for the money you are looking at, Id go for a 2000/2001 S2000. I got the most amazing spin in one on Monday morning in the open day in Mondello. Its great in the high revs, really gets the pulse going, and the handling is wonderful once you focus (the back did kick out a few times but when you hold the line and back off the revs a bit, its so much fun). Wasnt let drive it on the track, but did take it for a spin on the way home, was very very impressed.
Im saving up for one already!
CByrne
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby baldtyres » Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:50 pm

I'd buy another FTO
Midlifecrisisinagpx
baldtyres
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Postby kevinod » Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:19 pm

Mustang wrote:Again a very German list SOC, With this sort of budget I'd be going for a '03 RX8 240bhp version. They are starting to look like good value.
here's a 04 example which has already lost nearly 10k per year off it's original price.

10k a year!! :shock: ouch - I'd like to have deep enough pockets to take that depreciation... good reason not to buy one if every I heard one (NOI).

I'd prob go for the beemer out of the 3 though, I don't think I'll ever buy an Audi (VW/Seat/Skodas with a very inflated price!), and the TT @ 25k vs an FTO at 7k - for me there's only one winner there! :wink:

I've never driven any of these, but I'd be tempted to look towards a Lexus IS200, Citroen C4, Skoda Octavia RS, Saab 93 (well did drive one of these ages back, quite liked it).
Steel Silver manual GR (95 C)
kevinod

Postby soc » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:16 am

CJ wrote:
Mustang wrote: And you can bore people in the pub and at parties explaining that it's only a 1.3.... :smt015

...and is classed as a 1744cc for tax purposes (same as the '7'), go figure!

soc, ignore all of this talk - if past experience is anything to go by, the missus will be making your mind up for you ;) My guess is that 330ci will win out.

CJ

:smt046 - you're probably right here CJ.... I have to carefully balance what I want in a car against what I'm allowed - jaysus, did I just say that out loud :oops: :r :wink:
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby soc » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:23 am

Interesting replies and thanks for the feedback guys - looks like the S3 would be the majority choice - I am suprised at how many people don't like the TT though - it's the same floor pan as the S3 and drives the same but I suppose the looks probably colour how people see it - it is a bit :r from some angles.

The BMW was a left field entry as I didn't think insurance + the tax would be worth it but the quote was so low I thought they got confused :shock: I double checked and it's all good though.

If I was honest I'd have to say the 2 cars I would REALLY like are either an Alfa GT, prefereable the 3.2V6 or a 350Z (spot on MfFTO) but I'd probably settle for the GT 1.9JTD if I was honest (I love the look and interior)... problem is Axa won't even quote me on the diesel - aparently it's group 11 and you have to be over 35 to drive cars in that group.... makes no sense to me at all but I will be double checking that!!

I'm hoping to get out and drive a both the 330ci and a TT (links above) tomorrow so I can compare back to back - I might see if I can find an RX8 and 350Z to drive too so I can compare....

Cheers for the advice guys.....
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Mustang » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:19 am

soc wrote:
. problem is Axa won't even quote me on the diesel - aparently it's group 11 and you have to be over 35 to drive cars in that group.... makes no sense to me at all but I will be double checking that!!

SOC are you saying that axa will quote you on, a bmw 330, audi tt, audi s3, but not on a 1.9 diesel GT :smt017

kevinod wrote:10k a year!! ouch - I'd like to have deep enough pockets to take that depreciation... good reason not to buy one if every I heard one (NOI).

Kev the point being that it has already done the bulk of its depreciation. It's not going to continue loosing 10k a year (presumably!) otherwise it would be worthless after about 4.5 years! While the Irish market used price still seem a bit inflated (mostly in the hands of dealers), an import looks like good value.

Anyway I'm sure Soc will buy German anyway :wink:
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby soc » Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:55 pm

Mustang wrote:
soc wrote:
. problem is Axa won't even quote me on the diesel - aparently it's group 11 and you have to be over 35 to drive cars in that group.... makes no sense to me at all but I will be double checking that!!

SOC are you saying that axa will quote you on, a bmw 330, audi tt, audi s3, but not on a 1.9 diesel GT :smt017

Exactly - I was scratching my head too but at the time I didn't feel like arguing with them - I'm going to ring a local office today to see if they can do a better price - but you're right it does seem very strange!

kevinod wrote:10k a year!! ouch - I'd like to have deep enough pockets to take that depreciation... good reason not to buy one if every I heard one (NOI).

Kev the point being that it has already done the bulk of its depreciation. It's not going to continue loosing 10k a year (presumably!) otherwise it would be worthless after about 4.5 years! While the Irish market used price still seem a bit inflated (mostly in the hands of dealers), an import looks like good value.

Anyway I'm sure Soc will buy German anyway :wink:

I suspect you're probably right - purely because the only non-german cars I'd like to drive are really outside my price range, e.g. Nissan 350z, not to mention the obvious, ferarri, etc... 8)
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby soc » Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:51 pm

soc wrote:
Mustang wrote:
soc wrote:

Exactly - I was scratching my head too but at the time I didn't feel like arguing with them - I'm going to ring a local office today to see if they can do a better price - but you're right it does seem very strange!

More strangeness - I just rang the Dun Laoghaire branch of Axa and got a quote on an Alfa GT 1.9JTD and not only will they qoute me they said I'd get a rebate of 23 euro. I also got a quote of only 300 extra for a 3.2 V... just shows the inconsistency of insurance companies.
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to Other Cars