car lacking power after been stood with flat battery??

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

car lacking power after been stood with flat battery??

Postby peely » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:14 pm

Alright people, need a bit of advice. Just purchased a gorgeous FTO v6 auto. had a drive but the car seems very much lacking on power in every gear, both in full auto and triptronic modes. ive read somewhere it can sometimes be because the ecu has reset and needs driving a while before it sets to my driving style???

was just a bit worried because it was sssssoooooo lacking on power. could it be the cam belts or timing? and if so is it easy to solve?

thanks peeps, any help greatly appreciated!
peely

Re: car lacking power after been stood with flat battery??

Postby goz_83 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:48 am

You could try an ecu reset, but I don't imagine it would lack in power much due to that. Disconnect the battery for 20 mins or so and reconnect. Drive the car in tip only for it to learn your driving style. If you think the belts might need doing, get them done. A tools old service may do the trick. If its seriously lacking power, you'll need someone to have a good look at it. Could be clogged air filter, or plugs need changing. Update your location and say hi in the welcome forum.
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Chris_Heilong » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:25 pm

You should do the reset, take it on a motorway run and see how fast it gets to 100km. Is it a 4 speed or a 5 speed Auto?
White 98 GX, HID lights, SS Exhaust, 17" BK racing Alloys, lowered Suspension, Veilside rear bumper, illuminated Door handles, Leatherette seats
Chris_Heilong
I prefer my FTO to the missus
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Postby peely » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:03 pm

cheers guys. ill be checking and cleaning the filter asap, and if things dont get better it will be new plugs too. ive got a sneaky suspicion that its just gunna need running for a while in tip mode to set to a style of driving that suits, and it had been stood for a long time. thanks for your replies, i will be asking again in the future if things dont pick up. :nwor
peely

Return to FTO Technical