Looking for info on bikes

Use this forum to discuss anything and everything non-FTO related

Moderator: Moderators

Looking for info on bikes

Postby Dragonheart » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:17 pm

Ok, so I know they dont qualify as 'Other Cars', but its the best place I could think of for the post.
So, does anyone have any clue about bikes here, cause to be honest, I dont know much about them, 'cept that I love 'em. Love the buzz off them, love the fact they get around traffic, love the looks of them, the lot. Really looking to get one, at the moment I'd have to wait for a bit of funding, but its def in the next year or so I'd be looking. The ultimate is of course the Hayabusa, anyone who heard of Ghost Rider will know the one I'm on about, but that might be a tad hard to insure as I've no bike licence, and never drivn one before, only a scrambler in a football field but we've all done that when we were young. Was looking at importing from Japan and its the same scenario as importing a car, VAT, Vrt, blah blah blah. Thing is I havent a clue of prices, or insurance or whats good brands. The only brands I really know are Kawasaki, Honda, Suzuki, Aprilla, thats about it, but when I do a search loads of brands come up. And I dont want to be looking at a bike if it turns out to be a lada of bike world. So, sorry for the long post, but any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Dragonheart
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Bernard » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:21 pm

I'm sure there must be bike forums out there.
Have a look, if they're anything like us you'll get loads of advice...
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dragonheart » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:22 pm

Well I found a forum called biker.ie, but I thought I might get a bit of info first cause I dont want to seem like a pure newbie up against all the vets!!
Dragonheart
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Re: Looking for info on bikes

Postby Marie » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:19 am

Dragonheart wrote:Ok, so I know they dont qualify as 'Other Cars', but its the best place I could think of for the post.
So, does anyone have any clue about bikes here, cause to be honest, I dont know much about them, 'cept that I love 'em. Love the buzz off them, love the fact they get around traffic, love the looks of them, the lot. Really looking to get one, at the moment I'd have to wait for a bit of funding, but its def in the next year or so I'd be looking. The ultimate is of course the Hayabusa, anyone who heard of Ghost Rider will know the one I'm on about, but that might be a tad hard to insure as I've no bike licence, and never drivn one before, only a scrambler in a football field but we've all done that when we were young. Was looking at importing from Japan and its the same scenario as importing a car, VAT, Vrt, blah blah blah. Thing is I havent a clue of prices, or insurance or whats good brands. The only brands I really know are Kawasaki, Honda, Suzuki, Aprilla, thats about it, but when I do a search loads of brands come up. And I dont want to be looking at a bike if it turns out to be a lada of bike world. So, sorry for the long post, but any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I have a Kawasaki Ninja 750R, GPX750 for sale it's being refurbished and customised, sexy ass bike! Bit too quick for me though letting her go for €1500.00
When you're good, you're good....... but when you're great you're ME
Marie
Nothing comes between me and my FTO

Postby Bernard » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:59 pm

I asked a biker friend of mine for some advice for you...

Right off the bat I'd reccommend a 600 Bandit or Fazer. Pick one up for around 3 grand in good enough nick.
Tell him this
Inside your first six months, whatever you buy, you will fall off, you will get hurt and you will put a few scratches and dents on so its not a good idea to go for something tasty right away.
Westernmotorcyclists.com is the local one, tons of good advice on there and they're nice people.
That'd be a good place to start.
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dragonheart » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:36 pm

Legend Bernard. Cheers for that! I'll take that into account def. I was thinking that I shouldnt get a major one forst just in case something like that happens and something that I could work at as a bit of a project to get a feel for bikes.
Marie: Can you believe that that was one of the bikes I was looking at getting! When you planning on selling it? My bank balance is taking a major hit this month what with the service and new tyres but its def one I'd be interested in, but I wouldnt want to waste your time by saying I'll take it and then saying I cant. But if you havent got rid of it in a few months or eve nsooner I'll def be up for having a look at it! Any photos of it by the way?
Dragonheart
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Marie » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:39 pm

Dragonheart wrote:Legend Bernard. Cheers for that! I'll take that into account def. I was thinking that I shouldnt get a major one forst just in case something like that happens and something that I could work at as a bit of a project to get a feel for bikes.
Marie: Can you believe that that was one of the bikes I was looking at getting! When you planning on selling it? My bank balance is taking a major hit this month what with the service and new tyres but its def one I'd be interested in, but I wouldnt want to waste your time by saying I'll take it and then saying I cant. But if you havent got rid of it in a few months or eve nsooner I'll def be up for having a look at it! Any photos of it by the way?

http://www.add.ie/kawasaki_gpx_750r_for ... 23-en.html
Not the best picture now doesn't do it justice considering how old fashioned it used look but have a look anyway!
We can work out a price a little lower than this of course since you've put up with my ranting and raving about my car :lol:
Best thing about this bike is it looks like new just being resprayed totally serviced! Yet you can insure it as a classic so cheap insurance! :wink:
Marie

Postby RussMan » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:53 pm

Hey there,

As a fellow biker i should probably pass on my two cents here.
If you planning on buying a bike make sure you get some training before going on the road as its a scary place out there!

Insurance on anything over a group 5 will be hugely expensive seeing as you have no full license or driving experience.
A great learner bike in my opinion if looking for the noise, the thrills but not willing to fork out huge bread, is the CBR 250 RR Gull arm, its a great light and nimble bike to drive with plenty of grip and good brakes and performance. Last time i check they were group 5 and relatively ok on the insurance stakes.

Before putting it on the road legally you would need to get the bike restricted to 25Kw's or 33 bhp. You need to pass your bike test and then wait 2 years legally before driving it unrestricted, not a big deal on this bike as it doesn't really push out much more than this.

I've had several bikes including, 2 x CBR 600 RR and FS models, a Kawasaki ZX6-RR, an Aprilia RS50 ( Wasp in a Jar) which was the bike i learned riding on, an SV650 (boring after the others) amongst a few more.
Biking is a great way to meet new people and have fun and ..... get killed so be safe and all. Best of luck in your search!

Quinn Direct do Motorcycle insurance now as well and seem quite competitive. I was quoted the other day on a Honda 954RR Fireblade for 680 euro which is a far cry from 6000 euro on my first CBR 600 !!!

Russ
???? - Ferrari F355 Berlinetta
2007 Nissan 350z GT
2004 Nissan 350z GT
1998 Mitsubishi FTO GPvR
1997 Mazda Mx-3
RussMan
I'm addicted to my FTO
I'm addicted to my FTO

Postby kevinod » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:46 pm

Popped it into 'Off topic' rather than 'Other Cars', prob a better place for it. Still a link from 'Other Cars' though for anyone looking for it.
Steel Silver manual GR (95 C)
kevinod

Postby Dragonheart » Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:39 pm

Thanks for that info Russman. I have been told from a lot of people now that I should start small, they're main reason is that a big powered bike is too tempting to go fast, as they've all said its cause I'm a petrolhead! Which to be honest, I wouldnt dub myself that, I always keep to the limit and have no intention of speeding on a bike especially, but I suppose it is always tempting when the adrenalin gets going. The other reason is insurance, if the bike has to be limited anyway better to get a smaller one, a 250cc or something. I've also been told of a test, an aon test or something? It seems to be like the Hibernian thing that you could do for cars before, so that would be worth it too. Thanks again for all the info all, I'm slowly but surely learning and getting closer to being prepared for it.
Dragonheart
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Marie » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:41 am

Just to let ye know lad's the bike is still available, taking it out of storage at the week end.
Marie

Postby Sebastian » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:36 pm

marie , the link (up) is dead ;)
no1. manual GR 96 l no2. tip GR 95 l no3. manual Gpx 95 l no.4 manual Gpx 95 l no.5 manual Gpx 96 l no.6 tip GR 95 - in 2011 took a break from the FTO scene
Sebastian

Postby Marie » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:04 am

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/821251

Bike is still for sale due to the fact unexperienced driver's wanting to buy, again lad's anyone interested must have experience in driving bike's!!!

Major custom done to the engine!!! VERY FAST...
Marie

Postby fatboyfat7 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:28 am

Sorry to throw this in Marie but just giving another option!
I know now its a small and not so sporty bike but a buddy of mine is selling a 125 cruiser. Think its a Virago...? Anyway, its a 00 but has been garaged for ages. About 35000 miles i think... He's living in wales now and he'd let it go for a couple of hundred I'd say. Its in perfect condition, chrome, leather etc. probably not what your after but as a start off bike, might be worth considering... If u want to take a look or something its only out by Carrigaline so we could spin out some day if your any bit interested...
Fully functional White GPvR....
fatboyfat7

Postby Dragonheart » Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:30 am

Chris I'd be interested!!!!! Suss it out!!
Dragonheart
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby fatboyfat7 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:00 pm

gimme a ring or a text cause I lost my phone the other night and have no numbers. I'll get onto your man and suss it out. I'll be around cork 2m night if your free...
Fully functional White GPvR....
fatboyfat7

Return to Off Topic