Screech When Engine Start

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

Screech When Engine Start

Postby goz_83 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:20 pm

When I start the engine, for the first second there is a screeching/grinding sound coming from under the hood. I don't think the mivec is engaging either, but I may be wrong. This started after the heavy floods and I did have to navigate some flooded roads, so i'm wondering if this could have caused the problem? I sprayed wd40 on the belt wheels, but the sound is still there every time i start the engine.

I plan to have the belts changed around pretty soon and the water pump too, so will get garage to check it out. Any ideas though?
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Re: Screech When Engine Start

Postby d_dan » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:25 pm

Sounds like a Power steeting/AC belt
d_dan
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby goz_83 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:27 pm

d_dan wrote:Sounds like a Power steeting/AC belt

Can I get a full belt change kit dan? or do i need to buy em separately? The garage i use is usually happy to use parts i supply. so i might get everything and get them to fit the stuff.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby d_dan » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:51 pm

Have you tried just tightening the belt?
or is it due a replacement?
d_dan
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby goz_83 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:07 pm

Mileage would suggest a replacement is due. I just hope that's all it is.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby optical illusion » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:41 pm

If it's just for a second I wouldn't worry, sounds like belts got wet, happens all of our cars here in the winter from time to time. Try putting some talc on the belts before you go trying replacing everything.
ImageImage
optical illusion
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby goz_83 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:59 am

Talc? as in the stuff for baby ass?

OK, i suppose it's worth a shot.....and yes, it is only for a second and only since it got wet, but i did use wd40, which i thought would have expelled any water moisture. What about the mivec? I haven't felt it kick in since this happened. I get up to 5.5k rpm and i don't feel that boost i felt before the floods.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby colm_mcm » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:09 am

You used wd40 on belts?

Alternator belt may be slipping which may explain lack of mivec
colm_mcm

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:05 am

WD40 not good for rubber belts and it will also strip the pulleys of lubrication.
Sprinkle some talcum powder on the screeching belt and see if it makes a difference.
Its not that long since those belts were changed - you'll probably see it on the Camskill invoices in the service history.
Also check the tightness of the belts - you shouldn't be able to twist them anymore than 90degrees.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby optical illusion » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:13 pm

goz_83 wrote:Talc? as in the stuff for baby ass?

OK, i suppose it's worth a shot.....and yes, it is only for a second and only since it got wet, but i did use wd40, which i thought would have expelled any water moisture. What about the mivec? I haven't felt it kick in since this happened. I get up to 5.5k rpm and i don't feel that boost i felt before the floods.

Yes, stuff for baby's ass :)

I don't know why you put WD40 on it though, not the best move!
ImageImage
optical illusion
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby goz_83 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:18 pm

Will look at the service stuff shane and will also check the tension. I used the nozzle to direct the wd40 away from the belts themselves to spray the metal components, but will use some baby ass powder as suggested to heal any irritation with my baby. If she continues to screech, i'll have to bring her to get looked at.

Edit: The cam belt looks like it was changed at 105k and there is approx 167k on clock. The aux belt was changed 15k ago. It's handy to have the history here. Pleased with that. Will be doing an oil change soon I think. Any opinions on those magnetic sump plugs?
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby goz_83 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:21 am

Talc had no effect. On a positive note, the pond i've been building in my garden is nearly finished :)
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby goz_83 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:32 pm

She's booked in tomorrow to get a full service, plus all belts and water pump changed. Hopefully that screeching noise will be gone after that's done. It has calmed down a good bit in recent days though, but I reckon there'll be no harm to get her serviced properly. Costing around €350-400 to get all that done, with me supplying parts and materials. That a reasonable price?
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:08 pm

goz_83 wrote:She's booked in tomorrow to get a full service, plus all belts and water pump changed. Hopefully that screeching noise will be gone after that's done. It has calmed down a good bit in recent days though, but I reckon there'll be no harm to get her serviced properly. Costing around €350-400 to get all that done, with me supplying parts and materials. That a reasonable price?

Sounds a little expensive even considering the labour for the timing belt/water pump change. The Aux belts will be fairly easy to change - what else are you having done - plugs?
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Kace » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:16 pm

I would agree - I would have thought this price would be reasonable if you supplied none of the parts.
| Silver 95 GPX Manual | 20 years MIVEC experience |
| Silver 09 Audi A5 | 2.0 TDI quattro S-Line Special Edition |
| Blue 04 Audi A4 Avant | 1.9 TDI S-Line | (wifemobile)
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Sebastian » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:29 am

a timing belt change can be expensive . . . .
no1. manual GR 96 l no2. tip GR 95 l no3. manual Gpx 95 l no.4 manual Gpx 95 l no.5 manual Gpx 96 l no.6 tip GR 95 - in 2011 took a break from the FTO scene
Sebastian

Postby goz_83 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:06 am

Having all belts changed. Oil change, oil filter, plugs too. I'm supplying everything. I thought it sounded a little expensive, but I wasn't sure about cost of labour for the belts tbh.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:39 am

goz_83 wrote:Having all belts changed. Oil change, oil filter, plugs too. I'm supplying everything. I thought it sounded a little expensive, but I wasn't sure about cost of labour for the belts tbh.

If you are changing the plugs as well then then the labour is starting to sound more reasonable - the rear bank of plugs are difficult to get to.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby goz_83 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:38 pm

Actually, they didn't realise half the plugs were under the air intake and they phone to charge an extra €30 for this. More bad news is that the hydraulic cambelt tensioner is knackered, so this needs replacing too. Cam shaft seals x2 need replacing also. Looks like this service will be costing €1000. [My heart just stopped].

On the bright side, I reckon she is all good after that. Oh.....my HIDs arrived this morning, just as I was leaving for the Garage, so I asked them to do that too, as well as put on that other brake hose that was in the boot. Parts (inluding HIDs) have cost circa €450. The hydraulic tensioner and seals will be approx €150. Labour will be €550-€600. So, approx 1k +.

After that, I reckon, a going over of the body to remove little car park dings and gettin her sprayed back to new. The rust under the rear arches need to be treated before it becomes a problem. I will treat the rust on the sun roof myself and spray back to black. Tinted windows and lowering springs with an induction kit will finish her off nicely too. Oh, and the centre caps to be replaced and leather seats :)

AM I MAD gettin all this work done? I do plan to keep the car for a few years of course.
Last edited by goz_83 on Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Sebastian » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:14 pm

well planned ! this is how all fto enthusiast should treat their cars
no1. manual GR 96 l no2. tip GR 95 l no3. manual Gpx 95 l no.4 manual Gpx 95 l no.5 manual Gpx 96 l no.6 tip GR 95 - in 2011 took a break from the FTO scene
Sebastian

Postby goz_83 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:07 am

Thanks Seb. Just ordered a few little bits online.
*Replacement gear knob (led gear display).
*Engine start button, which I will use for something other than to start the engine. I just hate that there is a ciggy lighter in the car and want to put something else in ts place.
*chrome dial surrounds
*KMC El Dial Kit
*white KPH dial covers (might use to cover up the MPH on the KMC dials)
*Red oil filler cap

I put the ralliart pedals into her a few days ago and they look much better than the standard rubber ones. A bit of blue led lighting and that'll have her lookin great. I also installed the front strut brace and I have yet to install the rear strut brace, but i'm having second thoughts about the rear one. Is there really any benefit? Advice on induction kits welcome too. Want something that looks well and is not too pricey. Not a fan of the ITG foam filter. Ideally something with red, as this will be my engine bay theme against the blue back drop.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby goz_83 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:27 pm

So I just collected the car and paid a heart stopping €688 to the garage on top of everything else. My HIDs are installed and look great. The screeching noise is still there, and no amount of Talc will sort the problem, because it turns out to be the alternator causing the noise. Will be dropping the car to the garage in the morning for a few hours to get that sorted too.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby optical illusion » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:23 am

Pics when finished!!!
ImageImage
optical illusion
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Current Spend Since I Got Car A Few Weeks Ago

Postby goz_83 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:26 pm

€1600 - Cost of Car

€50 - Replacement rear d/side brake caliper & disc
€360 - All new Tires fit.
€135 - Rear Brake pads supply/fit & caliper fit & disc fit.
€25 - Ralli Art Pedals
€150 - Motul Engine Oil, Gear Oil & Denso Sparks (Opie)
€121 - Cambelt Kit (Camskill)
€26 - Cam Shatft Seals x2 (Mitsu)
€86 - OE Water pump
€56 - HID Kit 8000k (main beam) (great discount for long delay)
€10 - Air Filter
€688 - Full service with above bits, plus hydraulic tensioner replaced new, brake hose fitted, coolant changed, oil filter done and HID lights installed and balanced.
€105 - 2nd hand starter motor bought and fitted (NO MORE SCREECHING NOISE)

not yet delivered/installed
€78 - Tinted Rear lights and Repeaters
€10 - dial cover kit
€47 - LED Gear Knob (not tacky, but practical)
€44 - Chrome dial surround rings
€27 - Engine Start Button
€61 - KMC El Glow dial kit
€60 - Red Bolt Engine dress up kit.

(I kept the front and rear struts from the other fto)

Car = €1600, Plus Additional spend of €2129

TOTAL SPEND TO DATE = €3729. I think the cost will exceed 5k easily by time i'm done.

Plans:
Body work tidy and paint
Tinted windows
Lowering springs
Alarm upgrade (remote start/keyless entry?)
Induction kit
engine bay tidy up
tinted headlights
leatherette seats
interior light upgrade
underbody lights (for very rare occasions...will not do a boy racer job of it)

Don't know if i'm missing anything. Ideas?
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to FTO Technical