fan belt and aircon belt.

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

Postby msmorrissey » Mon Nov 29, 2004 6:34 pm

Just got the cambelt done on the car, mechanic said in the next six months to get the Fan and aircon belt changed. I can find the Aircon/powersteering belt at funkyproduct but not the fan belt! Where do I get the fanbelt or is it a standard mitsi belt..?
cheers
msmorrissey
Speed freak
Speed freak

Re: fan belt and aircon belt.

Postby CJ » Mon Nov 29, 2004 8:39 pm

msmorrissey wrote:Where do I get the fanbelt or is it a standard mitsi belt..?

The FTO doesn't have a fanbelt, in fact most modern cars fans are electrical and not driven off the engine, your mechanic should know that ;)

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby kevinod » Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:34 pm

msmorrissey wrote:Just got the cambelt done on the car, mechanic said in the next six months to get the Fan and aircon belt changed. I can find the Aircon/powersteering belt at funkyproduct but not the fan belt! Where do I get the fanbelt or is it a standard mitsi belt..?
cheers

Hmmm good point CJ, maybe its the fan itself he was suggesting to change? either that or the guys a bit of a chancer!! :lol:

Kev.
Steel Silver manual GR (95 C)
kevinod

Postby steelroe » Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:22 pm

Some mechanics still refer to these as the fan belts and you do not have to order from FUNKY any motor factors will supply them. GATES belts would be the best bet. I can get the required part numbers if you want them
steelroe
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby msmorrissey » Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:29 am

Hmmm! must a heard him wrong, anyhow wouldn't call this guy a chancer! Has worked on every mitsi I've had, all my family drive Mitsubishi, so the guy's Provenence is impecable. He has about 20 certs on his garage wall from mitsubishi + his a school mate of my auld man. would highly recomend him for any Mitsubishi, has worked on Gto's as well. 140 euro for the cambelt and tensioner fitting! which is not bad.

Instead of getting the Aircon/powersteering belt off Funkyproduct, where could I pick up one and yes I would appreciate the serial code.
Thanks again Lads
msmorrissey
Speed freak
Speed freak

Postby Mustang » Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:35 am

Msmorrissey,
If it's a V6 you are driving then check out this link.
http://www.fto-ireland.com/forum/phpBB2 ... php?t=1418

If it's a GS you're driving check out this link.
http://www.mitsubishi-fto.org/workshop/ ... index.html
Just in case it's not clear from above, there are three belts on the fto.
1. The timing belt, also referred to as the cam belt.
2. The alternator belt (referred to by your mechanic as the fan belt). I would have referred to it as a fan belt also :?
3. The air con/ power steering belt.

As Steelroe siad you can pick up the gates belts in your local motor factors. Funky product and camskill should also have these belts.

Mustang
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby kevinod » Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:48 am

msmorrissey wrote:Hmmm! must a heard him wrong, anyhow wouldn't call this guy a chancer! Has worked on every mitsi I've had, all my family drive Mitsubishi, so the guy's Provenence is impecable. He has about 20 certs on his garage wall from mitsubishi + his a school mate of my auld man. would highly recomend him for any Mitsubishi, has worked on Gto's as well. 140 euro for the cambelt and tensioner fitting! which is not bad.

NOI, sounds like this guy knows his stuff! Have to say though, not this guy, but there's a frightening amount of cowboys around posing as mechanics!

Kev.
Steel Silver manual GR (95 C)
kevinod

Return to FTO Technical