Seized brake caliper bolt fix

FTO tips and tricks

Moderator: Moderators

Seized brake caliper bolt fix

Postby Dragonheart » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:10 pm

Just thought I'd put this up for anyone who tries to replace brake pads and the caliper bolts are stubborn;

I replaced mine during the weekend, had major trouble with the bolts, in one caliper the bottom bolt was seized and the other had the top bolt seized. Obviously to replace the pads the bottom bolt comes out and the caliper swings up, but this wasnt possible with either caliper due to the seizing. I tried with manual force to turn the bolts but no good. Didnt want to force too much cause if they sheared I would be in big trouble. So had a back up plan;

Firstly I prised the caliper open as far as she'd go with a screwdriver, then took the whole caliper unit off as a whole by taking off the 2 bolts at the back. Left the brake fluid cable connected cause I could get at the pads without disconnecting it. The pads came out simple then. The new ones also went in no problem, but then the next trouble started. As one of the bolts was seized the caliper didnt expand enough to get it back on with the new thicker pad in place. (Thicker cause its new.) So my plan didnt work, the bolts have to come out.
First idea was to get WD40 into the bolt somehow. So I drilled 2 very small holes through the caliper till it hit the bolt, squirted the oil in and tried again. This also brought no joy, might work if they're not too badly seized but not this time.
My next plan worked, not the ideal by any means but at least it worked. Disconnected the brake line with a clamp on and removed the caliper. Got me a blowtorch, and let rip! Heated the part of the caliper that houses the bolt thats seized, note that if your caliper is painted you will be redoing it after this! Heat it till it goes red hot. Immediately apply force to the bolt and she should turn, I wish I could say easily but it does need a lot of force, but because the heat will have expanded the housing more than the bolt there is a lot more room for the bolt to turn. When the bolt seems far enough out to remove by pulling use a pliers or something. DO NOT TOUCH THE BOLT!!!! It will give you major burns! Also DO NOT put the bolt in water to cool cause the sudden decrease in temp could cause it to crack. Put grease, such as copper grease which is good for rust, on the bolt and return it to the housing. Your caliper should be ok again to move freely once the seized bolt is freed and greased. A good idea at this point is to order new pins and replace them in time cause there is a likelihood that they wil reseize.
This method worked both times for me. One of the bolts was in very bad nick when I took it out, would definately have seized if I put too much force on it without heating. I also had to redo my calipers cause of the burning, but would much prefer that than shearing a bolt in the caliper. Also if you drill through seal the small holes after, they wont be seen. And if you disconnect the brake line dont forget to bleed the lines after reconnecting.

Just thought this might help someone who comes across this problem in the future cause it broke my heart at the weekend!!!
Dragonheart
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to FTO Knowledgebase