Not telling insurance company about penalty points

Compare and discuss insurance quotes here (Registered users only)

Moderator: Moderators

Not telling insurance company about penalty points

Postby colm_mcm » Tue May 18, 2010 1:32 pm

Friend of mine had an accident as a named driver on her husbands policy. she has 4 points and didn't declare them on being added to the policy.

She was in an own-fault accident last week in his car.

What are the implications for not declaring points, does it void the policy, or does the payout go down by the amount the policy would have gone up by had she declared the points?

Company is AIG/Chartis.

Please don't post if you're

* going to tell me she should have declared the points
* just using common sense to assume that what you think is how they deal with it
* going to tell me she's an idiot

Thanks in advance.
colm_mcm

Re: Not telling insurance company about penalty points

Postby Uncle B » Tue May 18, 2010 4:24 pm

Hope this doesn't come under * number 2

I'd imagine it could vary from policy to policy, I know Quinn (most are the same I'd imagine) don't care with 2 points I've heard of some not loading with 4 so I'd imagine the worst they'd do is load her for the undeclared points.

I remember I told Hibernian I had 3 years named experience when I only had 2 years and 10 months and they made me pay an extra 80 quid for the 2 months I was missing (hope that makes sense)

Still I think ringing them with a "hypothetical" situation and seeing what they say is the safest option because I'm not sure you'll get someone that was in the exact same situation with AIG.
Get out of here Nebulon! No one likes your style...
Uncle B
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Tue May 18, 2010 11:03 pm

colm_mcm wrote:..........
Please don't post if you're

* going to tell me she should have declared the points
* just using common sense to assume that what you think is how they deal with it
* going to tell me she's an idiot

This ain't boards so I doubt you'll get anyone jumping on their high horse.

colm_mcm wrote:What are the implications for not declaring points, does it void the policy, or does the payout go down by the amount the policy would have gone up by had she declared the points?...

AFAIK it won't make any difference - I don't believe that insurance companies actually have any access to the national points database otherwise why would they ask the question if you have any points in the first place?
I presume she wasn't on any kind of discount for claiming she had zero points and rather she just neglected to mention she had any?

I'm sure if she rang them and advised them post crash that she had 4 points they'd have some clause or other to cover themselves and void the payout - I guess it comes down to what information they have access to and what info your friend is willing to profer.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby colm_mcm » Wed May 19, 2010 9:01 am

Shes decided to keep quiet. Worst case scenario is same whether she tells them or not.
colm_mcm

Postby Dilogoat86 » Wed May 19, 2010 3:31 pm

Keep it hush hush at the stage. If it comes to it "it slipped my mind" if not, no harm done.
Currently in my collection:
'98 Toyota Starlet...
'79 Mini Clubman 1380cc ~100BHP (I hope)
'79 BMW 728
Dilogoat86

Postby Baldrick » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:30 pm

Myfeckin FTO wrote:I don't believe that insurance companies actually have any access to the national points database otherwise why would they ask the question if you have any points in the first place?

Sorry for reviving an old thread but just spotted this. I've got to disagree. Back when Aviva was Hibernian, I clocked up four points on my bike and never mentioned it. I was automatically loaded at next renewal on bike and car policies. I could be wrong, but I don't think they SHOULD have access to the database :shock:
Growing old is mandatory... Growing up is optional.
Baldrick
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Return to Motor Insurance