Hi

Say hello to other forum members

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with the forum rules before posting!

Hi

Postby Kersh » Tue Jul 13, 2004 1:48 pm

How are y'all. Changing cars from a GTO to something 2 litre.And Ftos look lovely. A few questions. Are all GPX mivec. It has to be a Mivec. Also, having experienced Mitsi autoboxes with the GTO, are FTO boxes as weak. So far the GTO has had a full replacement box, then I serviced it all correctly and the 4th/od went in it. I dont mind getting a tip Fto, and I have facilities to service it properly, but if its anything like the Gto box, then no way. also what are the different chassis numbers. You know, GTO is a z16a, I have seen 2 Fto ones, d-3a or something, and a d-2a. I dont want to end up getting suckered into buying a GR cos I cant tell the model differences. Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks,
Kersh

Postby CJ » Tue Jul 13, 2004 1:59 pm

Welcome Kersh, get bored ranting and raving with the nuts on the octane.ie forums? ;)

To break it down to basics, theres 3 main models:

GS - DE2A 1.8L 125PS
GR - DE3A 2.0L V6 170PS (180PS in 97+ models)
GPX - DE3A 2.0L V6 MIVEC 200PS

The 4 speed Tip gearbox in the press 97 models is known to be weaker than the 5 speed Tip in 97+ models. If the ATF hasn't been changed regularly during the life of the car, then theres a change of gearbox failure on higher milage motors
The 5-speed tip box on the other hand is pretty bullet proof, in saying that, the vast majority of FTOs in this country are 94-96 models, newer (facelift) models tend to be thin on the ground. If you want more info, check out the buying guide on the main part of the site.

CJ
Last edited by CJ on Tue Jul 13, 2004 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Kersh » Tue Jul 13, 2004 2:09 pm

Thanks. Ye, some of the octane guys are a bit narrow minded.. :roll: , and a bit snobby. But ye, I just wont tax 2 3 litre cars, so the Gto is going and the 911 is staying. May even try swap the gto for a Gpx fto. What is a surefire way of telling the difference between a mivec and non-mivec 2 litre. Are the engine numbers different. Thanks for the reply.
Kersh

Re: .

Postby CJ » Tue Jul 13, 2004 2:16 pm

Kersh wrote:What is a surefire way of telling the difference between a mivec and non-mivec 2 litre. Are the engine numbers different.

The engine gives it away, the GPX (& GPvR) has Mivec written on the engine cover and looks like this:

Note that the oil filler cap is on the LHS. There are also Mivec stickers low down on the rear quater panels

The GR (& GX) non-Mivec engines on the other hand look like this:

Note that the oil filler cap is on the RHS.

HTH

CJ
Last edited by CJ on Tue Jul 13, 2004 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Kersh » Tue Jul 13, 2004 2:21 pm

Thanks a million. Let the hunt begin.
Kersh

Re: Hi

Postby Daz » Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:10 pm

Welcome,

And good luck on finding a FTO for yourself, and you won't need to know much more cj told you the score, but don't be put off by a tip just remember to service it regular,

Have fun

Daz...
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive, anyway.
18 yrs an owner presently on my 4th a Manual Gpx with twin turbo conversion, in Daytona Blue
Daz
Financially Troubled & Overdrawn!
Financially Troubled & Overdrawn!

Return to Introduce yourself