HID Lights(Ballast)

Say hello to other forum members

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with the forum rules before posting!

HID Lights(Ballast)

Postby Anthony Shannon » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:06 am

Hi all,

I've just joined and wish to say hello and hope I can share what little knowledge I have of my 1998 Version R Mivec 2l FTO to others. I'm having a problem with my factory fitted HID dipped headlights. I bought and fitted two new D2S bulbs but had no joy in getting them working. I'm thinking it could be the ballast and if so do I have to order new ones directly through mitsubishi or will aftermarket ones work? If yes does anyone know where I could order them? Its wrecking my head!! The car breezed through the NCT apart from this minor fault and as you all know if I dont sort it within 30 days I'll have to do a full retest.
Anthony Shannon

Re: HID Lights(Ballast)

Postby goz_83 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:10 am

Welcome to the club. Update your location on your profile for faster help.

The problem may well be the ballasts, but if both bulbs are not working, I would check the fuse to start with and make sure the wiring is all good too. Each hid light has a ballast, so if both are gone, i doubt the ballasts are the problem, but I wouldn't rule it out.

I replaced the factory kit with an aftermarket kit from ftooc.org, but the same stuff can be got on ebay. I replaced mine when i got the car 2 years ago and the drivers side bulb was not lighting. It was nearly the same price getting a new kit as it was for bulbs alone, so it was a no brainer. The old kit was corroded to hell. The local Atlas garage installed mine. The kit was abiut €60 and i went for the 8000k, regular ballasts.
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to Introduce yourself