Companies Quoting for FTO

Compare and discuss insurance quotes here (Registered users only)

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Ivan E » Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:47 pm

Okay, I have just recently insured mine in the last few weeks. I have never had the car in my name, it was under my wife's name and I insured her car. I have fully comp. on all other cars through my Axa policy.

Her policy had 3rd party on other cars but crucially had no cover on a partner's car (we weren't married at the time) so technically she couldn't drive her own car. Of course being a bloke, I just added her onto my policy and it brought that policy down. Madness I know. She paid what she normally would and I paid the difference and my own policy. Worked out cheaper than what Quinn were giving at the time. She is with Eagle Star but she needed to be over 30 and full NCB which she had. I didn't have any of that.

Then she got a company car, her Dad took hers. At this time, just to be on the safe side, I added myself onto her policy and it didn't make any difference. Her policy was €600. We continued the same way and her Dad went onto my policy as a named driver and he paid for himself. I paid my policy and my wife's and it was still cheaper than insuring myself.

I have just turned 30, am now married and have full NCB, so I thought it better to go on my own policy with the FTO this year. Got a quote of €1211 from bestquote.ie with a place in Kilkenny. I didn't get a ref. number so I rang them about it. They said no sign of it on their system but they'd wait 'till the next day to see if it came in and then would ring me.

I rang Axa broker who I deal with and they quoted €2,200 I think. I said that I got the quote of 1211 and then they said the best they could do was 1900 I think. So fine, still no word from the other place so I ring them again. She said she still hadn't anything from the system but was looking into it and would get back to me as we had time before it was up. She never did.

So in the end, I have just kept it the way it was. I can actually insure my father-in-law's car with him as a named driver and then the fto under my wife's name with me as a named driver and it all still works out cheaper than just insuring the fto myself.

123.ie gave a quote of just over €1300 but to be honest I was just so pissed off with the whole thing. I think I can pretty much insure any other car no matter what it is for the prices I am being quoted for my fto.

After 2.5 years I am thinking that it may be time for a change in the coming months. My advice for any of you's with wives or girlfriends (if you are willing of course) is to put the car in their name. Its complete bullshit otherwise.
Ivan E
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Previous

Return to Motor Insurance