Top mounts, one for Rory

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

Top mounts, one for Rory

Postby CJ » Wed Aug 04, 2004 4:06 pm

Rory, I seem to remember you replaced top mounts on your GPX at some stage, I reckon one of mine on the rear is worn but I'm not 100%sure, whats the best method of determining if this is the case? I've had to put up with knocking from the rear for too long at this stage and its starting to drive me mad! (BTW, rear ARB bushes and droplinks replaced recently).

On the same topic, is there much to be gained from replacing the trailing arm bushes, inner bottom arm bushes and the outer bottom arm bushes? What sort of condition would you expect them to be in after 80kmls? I'm reluctant to pull the rear suspension apart without having it up on a ramp.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby steelroe » Thu Aug 05, 2004 11:16 pm

When I bought the GPX and after replacing all links and ARB bushes, still had a knocking from front and rear.

Rear

The rear problem turned out to be the lower arm bushings. These can only be checked with the arm off so mark the position of the camber adjustment bolt before removing the arm. I would say tha most FTO's would need these changed after Irish roads.

Recently had a problem with rattling in drivers side quarter panel, the trailing arm bushes were the cause of this. Ensure if you are getting these changed that the new bushes are installed in the correct direction and correct side facing in. refer to workshop manual. Rear top wount would be under less stress as there is less weight at the back of the car, this would be the last thing I would suspect.

Front

Knock on front was from top mounts, remove struts and check for play in the top mount bearing. Shake from side to side, should be very little play. If the bearing is worn the strut will bang againt the top mount over rough road.

Now my drastic reccomendation

These cars are nearly 10 years old and parts are going to wear. I have now replaced all links and suspension bushings as follows.

Front 2 links, 3 bushes either side (6), top mounts

Rear 2 links, 4 bushes either side (8).

My car now feels like new from a road holding and rattling point of view.

If anyone needs any more info contact me. Also I can supply links, bushes and mounts for anyone who needs them.

Rory
steelroe
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Fri Aug 06, 2004 8:44 am

Thanks for that Rory. As regards the lower arm bushes are these the ones you're referring to:

The knocking in my case seems to be coming from the top end of the suspension but it can be hard to narrow down. Are the lower arm bushes hard to replace? Can you write up a brief set of instructions?

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to FTO Technical